In order to continue to exercise cautions and to ensure the safety of all our members, we are extending our online group practice until further notice.
We remain hopeful that we will be meeting in-person again before long. Sign-up to receive our weekly newsletter to get the latest updates.
How to join us online:
via Zoom: Visit https://zoom.us/j/727507599 (video + audio)
by Phone: 312-626-6799 / Meeting ID: 727507599# (audio only)
If Zoom is new to you, watch this video on how to join a Zoom meeting.
May all beings be safe, healthy, and at peace.
- This event has passed.
Watch & Learn: “7 Wonders of the Buddhist World” (online)
October 30, 2021 @ 3:45 am - 6:00 pm CDT
It’s the 5th Saturday — our special event week!
On October 30th, we will do a short sitting, and then watch a documentary TV special: “Seven Wonders of the Buddhist World” together.
Presented by historian Bettany Hughes, “Seven Wonders of the Buddhist World” visits seven of the most famous ancient and modern Buddhist locations in the world, including Bodh Gaya in India, the Bodanath Stupa in Nepal, the Temple of The Tooth in Sri Lanka, Wat Pho Temple in Thailand, Angkor Wat in Cambodia, the Giant Buddha in Hong Kong, and the Hsi Lai Temple in Los Angeles, California, in the United States. At each location, Hughes meets with Buddhists who explain the different concepts that form the core of Buddhist belief, giving insight into the long and rich history of Buddhism. EVENT SCHEDULE:
3:45 PM: Online session open for dial-in
4:00 PM: Slow Moving Meditation – to help settle our body & mind
~4:10 PM: Short Sitting Meditation
~4:30 PM: get your pop-corn ready…
4:40 PM: “Seven Wonders of the Buddhist World”
~6:00 PM: Adjourn
You may join any or all segments of the evening.
- Check that your internet and audio/video is working beforehand
- Wear comfortable and loose clothing
- Find as quiet a place as possible; while also be understanding of each other should kids/pets, etc. make noise in the background! (we’ll use the “mute” function judiciously)
- If using a meditation cushion or bench, make sure to also have support under your knees – not too hard and not too soft (e.g., rest round cushion on top of a larger square cushion or folded towels/blankets, etc.)
- If using a chair, sit on a sturdy & comfortable chair where the thighs can be parallel with the floor
- For moving meditation, we will experiment with a seated form, to minimize space requirement
Beginners welcome. No cost to attend. Donations welcome. Your generosity will support the continual operations and growth of this group, including the cost of our monthly rent and Meetup subscription fees.
We also meet on other Saturdays with slightly different programs – see our event listing for details.